Welcome to Project CodeTRAX, an effort to develop the necessary software in order to automate the deployment and management of a multi-project hosting environment. A premature implementation of this project was deployed from early 2007 until September 2009 on CodeTRAX.org.
As of September 21 2009, Project CodeTRAX has been put into stand-by mode. Read the announcement for more information.
Project CodeTRAX has one goal and one rule.
- The goal is to deliver an easy to deploy platform, built entirely of open source/free software, which can be effectively used for the development, publishing and support of software or documentation projects.
- The rule is to achieve the aforementioned goal by following the shortest possible route.
We do not intend to re-invent the wheel in an attempt to keep ourselves busy. We are busy already! The goal will be achieved by expanding the capabilities of existent and mature open-source software with the addition of deployment, administration, maintenance utilities and software that acts as a bridge between the various components.
Project CodeTRAX has used the following software since its debut.
- Apache HTTP Server (httpd)
- Nginx Web Server (mod_wsgi enabled)
- mlmmj - Mailing List Management Made Joyful - for email notification management.
The combined use of all the software above was possible thanks to custom software made by the CodeTRAX team. This software includes:
- Administration utilities
- Deployment utilities for Trac environments, Subversion repositories, Mailing Lists.
- Software bridges - for example, common user-base and authentication scheme among all the involved applications.
- Maintenance utilities.
This is definitely not an easy job. Slow, but significant, progress had been made since the beginning in 2007. The utilities are usable but not yet releasable.